Monday, April 30, 2012

Sensory Issues


I didn't realize that some of Joe's difficult moments were happening because of sensory issues.  If only the Temple Grandin movie was made before he started Kindergarten :) That movie is a must see. It really helps to understand the sensory problems autistic people/children face.
We moved just before Joe started Kindergarten to an even better district. They introduced us to an Occupational Therapist.  She really opened my eyes to problems Joe was having and how they were related to sensory problems. I had no idea. No wonder he acted out whenever we went to Walmart. It was too much for him.

I also had to carry him onto the bus every morning. I would get notes and phone calls from the bus driver about Joe not sitting down and not listening in the afternoon. Sometimes, Joe would refuse to get on the bus leaving school as well.
I came to understand that the bus was very loud for Joe. In the afternoon, it was also very hot. The Occupational Therapist explained that to most children, it may be a little warm or loud, but to Joe - it was magnified a great deal. He couldn't handle the bus ride so he was acting out.
The answer of course, was putting Joe on the school van instead of the bus.
I also learned about weighted blankets and the use of hats. When it's hot and sunny, a hat does wonders, as well as an umbrella. He also likes a soft blanket. At school, they let him wear a hat if he started having issues. This made  him feel safe and seemed to help him focus on the task at hand.
Joe didn't like leaving home so his teacher made a picture book for him. She put photos of me in there so when he got upset, he could look at my picture. She also put pictures of Joe doing each of his school tasks. This gave him a visual calendar of sorts and helped him transition.
All of these things helped me understand why Joe was having some issues and it also helped me get prepared for situations that I knew may be difficult for Joe to handle.
Kindergarten was hard for him but he made it though thanks to his great team.

Joe's mom



No comments:

Post a Comment